A sewing project for kids (with Mum’s help)! This very cute cover can be made for any mobile phone / iPod / MP3 player / device.
1 x piece of fabric (20cm wide) (outer cover)
1 x felt square (lining)
1. Measure your iPod/phone (length x width).
2. Calculate your fabric measurements: Double the length and add 8cm, then add 5cm to the width.
3. Using a ruler, mark your measurements onto the wrong side of your fabric. Place your device onto the marked out fabric and check that the cover will fit. Cut out the outer cover.
4. Place the outer cover onto the felt and pin together. Cut around the fabric to get your lining.
Now you’re ready to sew:
1. With right sides together, place your fabric over the felt (matching all edges) and pin.
2. Using a 1cm seam allowance, and remembering to reverse stitch at the start of your seam and end of your seam, sew around the cover, leaving a 3cm gap on the long side (finish sewing 3cm before you reach the start).
3. Trim around the edges, leaving a 5mm seam allowance. Trim each corner off (being very careful not to cut into your sewing).
4. Turn your cover right side out. Looking good I bet! Ask Mum or Dad to iron the cover for you.
6. Place your device into the centre of the cover (with felt side facing up). With tailors chalk or pencil, draw a line at the base of the device onto your cover – this is where the fold will go.
7. Fold at the line, inserting one end of your ribbon approx. 1.5cm – 2cm from the top of the bottom flap. The pic below gives you an idea of ribbon placement.
8. With a 5mm seam allowance, and starting from the bottom, sew through all layers, all the way around (sandwiching the ribbon between layers), also topstitching the flap, until you reach the point where you need to insert the other end of the ribbon. Sandwich the ribbon between the two layers (as you did before) and continue sewing until you reach the bottom again.
9. And…ta-daaa! You clever thing – you’ve just made yourself an ultra cute cover for your mobile/music device. Woo Hoo!